Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Thomas Girls

Week... 6? I have been nannying, five days a week, for about a month and a half now for two girls. Ella, almost 9, and Charlotte, freshly 7, have SURPRISE-SURPRISE weaseled a way into a new corner of my heart.


Together, the three of us spend afternoons doing homework and practicing piano, but also playing Candyland (wayyyy too many times), doing craft projects, singing and dancing around the kitchen in our socks, playing with their dog Leo and going on mini adventures. 

And I just stinkin' love these girls! I know, really this is no huge revelation. But, as busy as my schedule is this semester, and although working for this family adds to that, these girls have still been a huge blessing in my life the last few weeks. Something about just living everyday life through the eyes of two little girls has planted in me a new childlike wonder for the world. And this is just huge. When I show up to pick them up from school in the afternoons, I've come from classes learning about all that is in need of reform in our nation, I've come from working with heartbreakingly disadvantaged preschoolers. I feel heavy and beat down sometimes. But daily, unknown to them, Ella and Charlotte help remind me of simple and tiny, beautiful little joys in life. 

It's no wonder Jesus had a soft spot for the little ones of the world, too.
Matthew 19:14 
Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

No comments:

Post a Comment