Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Greetings

So. Here I am. In Fairfax, Virginia.

For those who don't know, in speed summary version:
ItookajobherewithYoungLife
Imovedhere3weeksago
Igetlostallthetime
Idon'tknowmanypeople
butIamLOVINGit.

As I try to figure out a brand new season of life, doing a brand new job, living in a brand new place and working to establish brand new friendships, I feel like the Lord has been teaching me just a ton.

As I've drawn near to Him, one specific thing I've been struck by lately is the way Paul, the servant and apostle of Christ, greets others in his many letters.

Paul, after a life changing encounter with the Lord, cleaned up his act, did a 180 and devoted the rest of his life to ministering to, encouraging, and loving God's people throughout the ancient world. He travelled from city to city, from new place to new place, spreading the good news of Jesus- what He had done for him, personally, and what He had done for the world.

In his letters throughout Scripture, Paul had boatloads of good and important things to say. But, more so than ever before, the way he begins his writings, the way he greets group and after group of people he doesn't necessarily know, has just captivated me.

In letters like the one he writes to the Philippians, he begins his address with comments such as,
I thank my God every time I remember you... I am confident of this: that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus... I have you in my heart, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus... And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight...
Paul, repeatedly in his letters, welcomes and greets people with such warmth. Such excitement. Such a prayerful posture. Such encouragement. Such hope and confidence. Such gratitude and humility.

My favorite little Paul-ian greeting snippet right now, however, is a simple one. As he begins writing to those in Rome, he says in Romans 1:7,
To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ. 
Goshhhhh. What if I greeted people, welcomed people into my life with this attitude?! I don't mean in a creepy, monk-like, deep-booming-voice and solemn-bowing-motion kind of way. I simply mean: what if my heart felt this way, assumed this posture towards others as I greet them, welcome them into my new life? What if I saw others first and foremost as loved by God and called to know Him? What if I inwardly offered others some of the grace and peace I find in knowing Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment