Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Another Blogger Bites the Dust? I refuse.

Blogging is HARD. I know that sounds ridiculous and, as some of my roommates call it, like a "first world problem" or complaint-- similar to me whining this morning about my favorite pair of Toms ripping or me being stressed out after receiving an email earlier this week telling me I'm almost out of cloud space... what does that mean? Am I supposed to buy another cloud?

But really. It has been so, so very difficult for me to find the time to even sit in front of my computer with nothing else on my to-do list, let alone come up with something half witty/entertaining/encouraging/worthwhile to write about. Blogging takes a little time, creativity and dedication. And while I've been awful about it lately, I don't want to give up!

I first started writing this blog with two main goals. 1) To simply capture little snapshots, memories, lessons I was learning for myself and 2) To hopefully be a source of just mini, mini pieces of insight or encouragement for anyoneeeee that might happen to stumble upon this space. Slight digression and tiny truth time: every single time I write a blog post I chuckle to myself thinking that realistically about... 6 total people read this. Either way, I still think both motives for occasionally sharing my thoughts, life updates, etc are valid and worthwhile. So blog on, I will. And here is where I find myself these days...

I was offered and accepted a job working for Young Life in Fairfax, Virginia. If you have still never heard of Young Life from me or elsewhere, go check out the website right now. I mean it. Sometime this summer, I will pack up my life in Wisconsin and head east to spend the next few years hanging out with high school students in Northern VA and introducing them to Jesus. And I just couldn't be more excited about this! Some days, it feels a lot scary and overwhelming, but the Lord certainly already has, and I know will continue to, go before me in this, and that has been such a beautiful thing already to witness and be a part of.

I am down to the last few weeks of Project Grow and this feels super bittersweet. I don't know that I will miss the early mornings or occasionally walking around campus after my time at the preschool oblivious of the fact that I have dried cheerios stuck in my hair or orange paint smeared on my shirt. But, having been a part of this incredible program for two incredible years, I have both witnessed such beautiful growth in the preschool kids we work with and have also grown in enormous ways, myself. Here are a few of the latest pictures, because let's just be honest: Jamarion is stinkin' adorable.





I just started reading a new book called "The Circle Maker". It is, so far, encouraging yet challenging me to pray bigger, bolder prayers. In the very beginning, the author writes, 
...bold prayers honor God and God honors bold prayers. God isn’t offended by your biggest dreams or boldest prayers. He is offended by anything less. If your prayers aren’t impossible to you, they are insulting to God. Why? Because they don’t require divine intervention...

Spring time is also allegedly "good music" time. Check out this musical line up and drool. A few nights ago marked my third time seeing Needtobreathe in concert.

Tonight you can find me singing along to Drew and Ellie Holcomb. And in just a few short weeks I'll also be seeing The Avett Brothers and Eric Hutchinson in concert. Soo, so good!

I came up with, what I feel pretty confident is, a GREAT idea the other day. Trader Joe's Online Dating Service. You heard it here, first. Seriously. Every time I go into Trader Joe's, there are crunchy but attractive 20- and 30-somethings obviously checking each other out, thinking to themselves, "hmm, that girl looking at the organic bananas is pretty cute..." If YL staff doesn't work out, this is the direction I'm headed next.

Final little life updates: I just discovered I LOVE brussel sprouts. And I'm not ashamed. I recently got a new phone cover and I find myself, like the various girls in my program who've gotten engaged this spring keep not-so-subtly glancing at their new sparkly rings, often stealing glances at my new iPhone swag. I started a new journal this morning and feel weird excitement and freedom flipping through the crisp, clean pages that will soon be filled. The little girls I nanny for cut their hair and donated it to Locks of Love at the request of no one-- simply because they're already generous little givers, which I love! I finally jumped on the Spotify band wagon, and though I'm still trying to figure it out, I already think it's so great! My favorite (and yes, only) little sister just decided she'll be coming to the University of Wisconsin next fall as the newest Badger of the family! And finally... next week is spring break. Hallelujah.

No comments:

Post a Comment